Have a Question?
What is the SRV record?
SRV corresponds to the abbreviation for SeRVer to help you find the availability of a particular service with a certain protocol for a domain. You can give more servers, define preferences, and specify which port the service is running.
A domain name may have more SRV records.
Example of the SRV record
Two typical SRV records can be seen below:
_sip._tcp.example.com. 3600 IN SRV 10 60 5060 bigbox.example.com. _sip._udp.example.com. 3600 IN SRV 10 20 5060 smallbox1.example.com.
SRV record format
Prioritycontains the priority value
|Name||In general, the symbolic name of the service (
|TTL||this field contains record lifetime in seconds. This is the time until the entry is stored in the resolver.|
|Weight||contains the weight value|
|Port||contains the port on which the given service is available|
|SRV target||contains the target address|
Adding SRV record
- Sign in with https://admin.dotroll.com with your username and password
- In the top menu bar, click the Domains / My Domains menu.
- Select the domain name for which you want to make the change and then click on it.
- In the Manage box on the left, select Manage DNS.
- At the bottom of the page, click Add.
- In the first field, you can enter a subdomain name, or leave blank
- the TTL value can be selected in the second field, but typically the default is 1 hour
- select SRV from the next drop-down list.
- enter the priority
- enter the weight
- enter the port
- enter the name of the service provider in the last field
- Then click Save Changes.