Have a Question?
What is the AAAA record?
The AAAA record (also known as four-A records) determines the host’s IPv6 address. It works the same way as A record, the difference is the IP address type. Using AAAA records, IPv6 addresses for domain names can be used to identify computers. When you visit a webpage that can be tapped with an IPv6 record, you can use the client name resolution to find the IPv6 address for that domain name. Subsequently, the client sends the request to the IPv6 address specified in the AAAA record.
Records are the simplest DNS records and one of the primary records used in DNS servers.
In fact, more records can be given for a domain name, thus ensuring redundancy. Of course, several domain names may show the same IPv6 address.
Querying AAAA record
For example, you can use the nslookup command in Windows to access record AAAA, while under Linux the host command.
Example of a Windows-based nslookup query:
nslookup -q=AAAA dotroll.com Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com Address: 184.108.40.206 Non-authoritative answer: Name: dotroll.com Address: 2a00:c760:80:d07:2011:ffff:b921:3440
Example of Linux based host query:
host -t AAAA dotroll.com dotroll.com has IPv6 address 2a00:c760:80:d07:2011:ffff:b921:3440
AAAA record format
|Name||this field contains the domain or subdomain name.|
|TTL||this field contains record lifetime in seconds. This is the time until the entry is stored in the resolver.|
|IPv6 Address||contains the colon-separated IPv6 address (
Adding AAAA record
- Sign in with https://admin.dotroll.com with your username and password
- In the top menu bar, click the Domains / My Domains menu.
- Select the domain name for which you want to make the change and then click on it.
- In the Manage box on the left, select Manage DNS.
- At the bottom of the page, click Add.
- In the first field, you can enter a subdomain name, or leave blank
- the TTL value can be selected in the second field, but typically the default is 1 hour
- select AAAA from the next drop-down list.
- enter the IPv6 address in the last field.
- Then click Save Changes.